Myrtle Beach is located in the beautiful Grand Strand area, a 60-mile stretch of sandy beaches along the pristine Atlantic Ocean. The city offers visitors lots of things to do in Myrtle Beach, including Myrtle Beach Shows, Myrtle Beach Theme Parks and exciting attractions like the Ripley’s Aquarium of Myrtle Beach. Plus, there are plenty of FREE things to do in Myrtle Beach that are fun for the whole family. In Myrtle Beach, vacationers can have fun without spending a fortune to do so. Explore the FREE Myrtle Beach activities on your next getaway for a truly coastal experience.
1) The Beach: Myrtle Beach’s biggest attraction is, of course, the ocean. Families enjoy spending time of the soft, sandy beaches where swimming, sunning and water sports are the norm. Be sure to bring your own beach towels, blankets and chairs to avoid the cost of rentals. Many oceanfront hotels Myrtle Beach provide beach towels free of charge.
2) Broadway at the Beach: This 360-acre outdoor entertainment and shopping complex is located in the heart of Myrtle Beach and offers a variety of things to do for Myrtle Beach visitors. During the summer months, Broadway hosts Sprite Under the Stars Concert Series, a free concert event featured every Tuesday night. Broadway also features free fireworks shows throughout the year. Festivals celebrating the holidays, street performers and regional festivals can also be found at Broadway at the Beach throughout the year.
3) Myrtle Beach Festivals: The area hosts a variety of free festivals throughout the year. The Sun Fun Festival kicks off the summer season and hosts concerts throughout the summer. Beach, Boogie & BBQ serves as the annual finale to summer and features great food and entertainment. Other festivals include the Grand Strand Fishing Rodeo, Canadian-American Days Festival and Festa Italiana, among many others.
4) Garden City Beach Pier: The Pier at Garden City Beach hosts free concerts and live bands all summer long. Each summer night, from 8:30pm-11pm, visitors can sit by the ocean and listen to great free music.
5) Burroughs and Chapin Art Museum: Considered the Grand Strand's home for contemporary visual art in all mediums since 1977, the Art Museum has been a showcase for living Southern artists that include Myrtle Beach's own Alex Powers, Dixie Dugan, and Ouida Salvo. Housed in a restored 1920s beach cottage with signature green-striped awnings and picturesque tea porch, the Museum has 10 galleries with visual art exhibitions changing throughout the year. The Museum also boasts works of historic regional significance including The Waccamaw Arts and Crafts Guild Collection and the Bishop Collection of Antique Maps and Prints. The Museum has exhibited works from some of America's foremost names in the world of art, including those of John James Audubon, Ansel Adams and Jasper Johns. Special events are offered regularly. The museum is open Tuesday - Saturday, from 10 a.m. - 4 p.m. and Sundays from 1 p.m. - 4 p.m. Admission is free.
6) Murrells Inlet Marsh Walk: A stroll along the Murrells Inlet Marsh Walk is a great way to experience nature in Myrtle Beach. Murrells Inlet is a historic village, and the Marsh Walk provides visitors great views of the saltwater marsh, birds and beautiful scenery.
7) Barefoot Landing: This recreated fishing village is an exciting entertainment complex offering dining and shopping. Located around a 27-acre lake, many migratory waterfowl, exotic fish and wildlife make Barefoot Landing their home. They also host a variety of festivals and events throughout the year, including ones that celebrate the seasons, holidays, food and coastal Carolina.
8) South Carolina Hall of Fame: The South Carolina Hall of Fame is a free museum showcasing famous South Carolinians, including Dizzy Gillespie. The Official South Carolina Hall of Fame is located at the Myrtle Beach Convention Center, 21st Avenue North & Oak Street.
9) Fishing in Myrtle Beach: There are eight piers along the beach that are great for fishing. There is no charge to go on the pier, but there is a slight fee to fish from any of the Myrtle Beach Piers.
10) First Saturday Art Walk: Hosted by the Historic District Artists of Conway, this interesting and interactive experience is offered the first Saturday of each month. Working artists open their galleries and studios to visitors to discuss their crafts. Art Walk sights include glass-blowing and quilting demonstrations, wine receptions in galleries, and live music. For one day each October, Conway closes down streets for "Art and Antiques in the Alley," a celebration of artistry that includes visits by antique dealers, art vendors, pottery demonstrations and many other artistic outlets.
11) Ocean Boulevard’s Hot Summer Nights: Ocean Boulevard hosts Hot Summer Nights June – August at Pyler Park on the corner of Ocean Boulevard and Mr. Joe White Avenue in downtown Myrtle Beach. There are a variety of concerts, fireworks displays, street performers, balloon artist, face painting, stilt-walkers, jugglers and tons of kid-friendly fun including inflatable jumping rooms. Plus, it’s all absolutely free.
12) Market Common: Every Monday starting in June thru August, The Market Common offers a free KidZone featuring inflatables, a kids' show, and face painters. For the adult crowd, live music, food, drinks and lawn games are going on at Valor Park every Thursday in July and August. There are Fire Dancers, Kurry and the Steel Drummers, Smokehouse Brown Blues Band, Jah Creation Reggae Band, All Access Classic Rock A Capella and much more, every Thursday for three months starting at 6 p.m. For a little culture, Art Walk Festivals celebrating visual and performing arts will be held in Valor Park the second Saturday and Sunday of June, July, August & September featuring local artists, live music and art activities! During the holidays, Market Common hosts free ice skating, carriage rides and a tree lighting ceremony.
With 12 free things to do in Myrtle Beach, vacationers can have a fun, free and memorable trip to the Grand Strand in South Carolina. Book your Myrtle Beach vacation today to experience the sun and fun available.